|The Dunstall Estate comprises over 1,000 acres of outstanding agriculture, wood and parkland in the county of Staffordshire. Run as sustainable farming operation, the Estate’s extensive acres centre on Old Hall, an impressive Grade II listed country house which is undergoing extensive refurbishment. The Old Hall is situated in the site of the original Dunstall Hall built in the 1600’s.
The present owners are the most recent custodians in the Estate’s long and distinguished history. Records show that in 1145 the Earl of Derby owned the Dunstall Estate. In 1652, Thomas Bott held property in Dunstall that included the original mansion now known as Old Hall Farm. On the death of his great- granddaughter, Elizabeth Beardsley in the late 1700’s, the Estate was sold to John Meek, a wealthy cheese-factor from Barton-under-Needwood.
In 1814, Richard Arkwright – son of Sir Richard Arkwright, inventor of the spinning jenny in 1764 and builder of the first water powered cotton -spinning mill at Cromford in Derbyshire – purchased the combined estates at public auction as a gift for his son Charles.
|These lands comprised Dunstall Hall and 440 acres and the Manor of Dunstall and Birdshall, totalling 1,500 acres. After his father's death in 1792, Richard had disposed of most of the mills, and shrewdly invested in landed property and banking. By the time of his death in 1842, Richard was by far the wealthiest commoner in England, leaving £3.25 million in his will (approximately £150million today). Charles Arkwright was childless and on his death in 1850, the Hardy family from Yorkshire purchased the Estate.
In 1953, the hall and Estate were acquired by Sir Robert Douglas, and on his death in 1997, by Sir Stanley and Lady Clarke. The Estate is now owned and managed by Simon Clarke.